Day 209: Broaden my vocabulary
March 31, 2011 § 1 Comment
I recently learned that the text message abbreviations LOL and OMG, as well as the symbol <3, have been added to the Oxford English Dictionary as “words” with actual definitions. After reading this article I curled up in the shower and cried for half an hour, lamenting the decline and foreseeable death of intelligent conversation. Then I went and opened up Webster’s Dictionary to five random pages in the hopes that I might add some formerly unknown words to my vocabulary.
Here are the five I found:
- callipygian having shapely buttocks
- pediculosis infested with lice
- gynecomastia a condition of overdevelopment of a male’s breasts
- philadelphus loving one’s brother
- jimjams 1. delirium tremens 2. a nervous feeling ; jitters: usually with the
I hope you feel as enlightened as I do. LOL.